by Judy Kim
Farmstand Berry Skillet Cake
Yield: one 8 or 10-inch skillet or two 6-inch skillets
One of my favorite cakes this Summer. A simple cast iron skillet cake loaded with seasonal fresh berries. I'm a fan of Lodge Cast Iron's cast iron skillets. I used 9-inch in these photos, but I recently made them with two 5-inch skillets that were such a cute presentation. *Special note: make a little mini skillet for taste testing!
Highly suggest serving this with ice cream or whipped cream. I just wrote a recipe for Cinnamon Cashew Cream that I bet would be a great addition too.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl sift together flour, baking powder and sea salt.
- In the clean bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream butter and sugar together. Gradually increase speed to high; beat until pale, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed to low and add egg, buttermilk, and lemon zest. Mix until fully incorporated, about 1 minute.
- While mixer is still on low add half of flour mixture, beat until almost incorporated. Scrape sides of bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Add remaining flour mixture and repeat. Transfer cake batter to cast iron skillet(s). Batter will be thick, spread evenly using an offset spatula.
- If strawberries are large, cut them in half lengthwise. I prefer the tiny sweet strawberries available in the Summer. Remove currants from the stems. Mix berries with blackberries in a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle half of the berry mixture all over the cake batter. Press berries lightly into the batter. For visual presentation arrange a few clusters of currants on the stem.
- Bake for 1 hour for large skillet or until cake is golden brown and puffy. 30 minutes for smaller skillets. Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center of the cake, it should come out clean. Cool skillet on wire rack. Garnish with balance of berries, edible flowers and fresh mint leaves. Serve cake while warm or at room temperature.
- Suggest serve with ice cream, fresh whipped cream or cinnamon cashew cream.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup fine cornmeal
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
5 tbsp unsalted butter at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg at room temperature
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 to 2 lemons, zested
2 cups mixed berries (strawberries, red and white currants, blackberries)
edible flowers for garnish
fresh mint for garnish