by Judy Kim
Watercress, Pomelo, Carrot Salad with Passion Fruit Vinaigrette
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Refreshing, crisp and bright. All the things I love in a salad. The passion fruit gives it a little extra tanginess.
The dressing recipe will leave you with enough leftovers for another salad. I always like to have some to enjoy for another day. It will keep in the fridge for for 3 to 4 days. I realize the vinegar is a bit specific. Hopefully you can find it in a specialty food store. The mild flavorful is great for dressings and will keep for a long time in your pantry. Or you can use red wine vinegar as a substitute.
Protip: I like washing salad in advance and storing it in the salad spinner in the fridge. Turns out it acts like a crisping drawer. Greens just seem to have a crunchier texture afterwards. I did this by accident years ago and I've been doing it ever since.
- In a large mixing bowl make an ice bath with cold water and 6 to 7 ice cubes. Shave carrots into thin ribbons using a peeler and add to ice bath. Add radishes and red onion. This will crisp and curl the carrots and radishes, which works best if they are not crowded. It will also help to mellow the raw onion.
- Cut off top and bottom of pomelo, then score the sides vertically in 4 places. Peel skin and disgard. Remove pith and skin to leave clean segments. Break them up into random bite-sized pieces. Set aside in a bowl.
- In a small mason jar add grapeseed oil, grapefruit balsamic vinegar, sugar and flaky sea salt. Cut passion fruit in half, scoop out inside with a spoon and add it to the jar. Shake well. Add 2 spoonfuls of dressing over the pomelo to marinate.
- Drain the water bath and dry ingredients well with a clean kitchen towel.
- On a large platter toss together the watercress, carrots, radishes, onions and pomelo. Drizzle with passion fruit dressing and garnish with black sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
3 rainbow carrots
2 radishes, thinly sliced with a mandoline
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced with a mandoline
1 pomelo, trimmed and peeled
1/4 cup grapeseed oil, or flavorless oil
1/4 grapefruit balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp flaky sea salt
2 passion fruit
4 oz watercress
black sesame seeds