by Judy Kim
Creamy Roasted Pumpkin Pasta
Yield: 4 servings
Fall has to be my favorite season. Mostly for the cool crisp weather, which by the way clearly beckons comfort food and all things with pumpkin. More things I love. If this pasta dish isn't comfort food, I don't know what is.
The base of the sauce is roasted pumpkin and white wine with garlic and onions. But it finishes with cold butter that melts into the sauce to make it extra creamy. The sour cream at the end gives it just a little tang. But don't forget the fried sage gives it the perfect crunch against the creamy sauce.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare rimmed sheet pan with parchment paper. Remove the pumpkin top and stem. Cut the pumpkin in half lengthwise and continue to cut into wedges, about 2-inches wide. Place wedges on parchment and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for 35 to 60 minutes, depending on size of your pumpkin. Flesh should be tender.
- Using a spoon, scoop pumpkin flesh into a blender; disgard skin. Reserve 2 cups pumpkin purée and save remaining for soup or other pumpkin recipes.
- Bring an 8 quart stock pot of water to a boil and generously season with salt. Cook pasta according to al dente package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet over medium-high heat add 4 to 5 tbsp olive oil; when oil is hot but not smoking add 1/4 cup dry sage leaves and fry 4 to 5 seconds until crispy. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle with sea salt; set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat sauté onions, garlic and minced sage, about 1 minute. Add pumpkin and white wine; season with 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper; simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in cheese and butter until melted and creamy. Stir in sour cream and pasta until well coated. Add small amounts of pasta water if the sauce is too thick.
- Top pasta with flaky sea salt, ground black pepper and fried sage leaves. Serve immediately.
1 small sugar pumpkin (or 2 cups canned pumpkin purée)
extra-virgin olive oil
1 lb mafalde pasta or fettuccine
1/4 cup sage leaves, plus 1 tbsp minced sage
flaky sea salt
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup dry white wine
freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into slices and chilled
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1 cup sour cream